One discomfort of travel in Southeast Asia -- and the developing world generally -- is that in many towns and villages, the locals burn plastic water bottles. This can seriously diminish the quality of your travel experience. On more than one occasion, I have woken up to a hotel room full of smoke! I shot this video of one particularly noxious fire near that was burning adjacent to my beach bungalow.
Surprisingly, I have found it doesn't always help to talk to the management about this kind of issue. The only solution is often to find alternative accommodations -- fast. By the way, this is one reason why I consider it unwise to book and pay for hotels in advance -- if you aren't booking a top-end place, that is. Mid-range and below, it's so hard to anticipate in advance what you will really be getting. You could find yourself situated downwind from a garbage fire, or next to a construction site. I recall seeing some folks sunbathing at a hotel. Nearby a workman was doing some renovations using a jack-hammer. My heart went out to them as they had likely prepaid for their hotel.